Updated Information (Posted 2/17/19)
As of 2/17/19, the PIMC Children's Program is currently without a permanent teacher, and we are going through the process to hire another one. One of our sangha members, Tia, has generously offered to teach through the end of February, and possibly longer, while PIMC searches for a replacement. Tia has a teaching background and, importantly, has passed a background check at another school where she works.
The teacher we're looking for is someone who can actively teach Buddhist concepts to young children and who will create an environment to which you, the parents, and your children will look forward to returning each week. We don't know how long this process will take - it could be a month or more.
Going forward, now and in the future, we need consistent volunteer help in the classroom in a way we have never had before. The program is being used more heavily than ever and the number of children has grown over the past two years.
Tia has asked for volunteer support to help her. Given the wide age range we allow, even five children ranging from ages 3 to 9 can be a handful for one person to manage.
And, the need for volunteer support is going to continue when Tia is no longer available to substitute teach. At that point, we do want to keep the classroom open, but that will only be feasible if there are volunteers each week willing to spend about an hour with the children. If we could consistently get 2-4 volunteers each week, we'd be able to leave the classroom open so children can have some safe playtime while their parents are doing their Dharma practice.
And, even when we hire a new teacher, we will still need consistent volunteer support so that the teacher can really give the children the best possible experience, based in mindfulness and the Dharma.
So, please consider supporting this very important function of giving the children in our sangha a firm foundation in the Dharma. You can sign up for a volunteer slot using the link at the top or below.
Thank you so much for helping teach our children well.
General Information and Guidelines for Parents & Kids
Welcome to the PIMC Children's Program! Our goal is to provide a supportive and creative learning environment for the children of parents who wish to participate in the adult Sunday meditation. Each Sunday, the program teacher will offer group activities that may include performing and visual arts, meditation, yoga, and play with the aid of an assisting parent.
Below are some basic guidelines for participation in the Children's Program:
- The program accepts children ages three and above.
- Parents will be asked to fill out a basic information sheet about each child.
- Parents will be asked to provide their contact information, including email addresses, so that it will be possible to communicate with them easily.
- A small, healthy, snack will be available to children each week. Parents, please advise the teacher if there are any allergy issues.
- Children will need their shoes and coats to be accessible, as we will often make use of the outdoor play area.
- Parents are responsible for any toileting assistance their child may need while attending the program. Parents are asked to encourage their child to use the restroom before the start of the program.
- Parents are responsible for letting the program teacher know of any special needs their child may have.
- Children are asked to do their personal best in listening to and following the program teacher's and assisting parent's directions.
- It is at the discretion of the program teacher and assisting parent to ask a parent for support if their child is behaving in an unsafe or disruptive manner.