“Work is love made visible” - Kahlil Gibran
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Portland Insight Meditation Community. The efforts of our volunteers are the heartbeat of this community and create a loving space for Dharma instruction, meditation practice, and the forming of deep interpersonal connections. With your generosity, you are helping to manifest future opportunities for others to participate in the liberation offered by the eightfold path.
Here at PIMC we have many opportunities for karma yoga. We strive to offer volunteer positions that aid them on their path. There are weekly, monthly, quarterly, and one time tasks; whatever your ability to contribute, we have an opportunity for you to participate.
Overview of Volunteer Program
Weekly or Monthly Sevice
- Greeters – Set up the Dharma hall for Sunday morning sits, welcome people as they arrive.
- Housekeeping – Keep our Dharma home clean by vacuuming, cleaning the kitchen, bathrooms, and/or other tasks as needed.
- Hospitality – Bring Sunday flowers, or help set up/clean up for snacks and social time after Sunday Dharma talks.
- Landscaping – Keep the lawn and gardens beautiful and cared for.
- AV Team – Run the camera for the live stream on youtube.
- Library – Help the PIMC Librarian on an as needed basis with organizational tasks.
- Children’s Program - Teacher’s Assistant during Sunday morning sits; on call support for sick/vacation coverage.
Quarterly or Twice Yearly Service
- Karma Yoga Parties
- Housekeeping, landscaping, maintenance
- Other one time projects
- As needed "Handy Person" – Helps with plumbing, electrical, building repair, painting, gutter cleaning and other maintenance as needed.
- Social Media Ambassador – Help people get connected to our community by posting regularly to the PIMC Facebook page and other online avenues.
- Community Photographer – Regularly take photos of our community and it's members and post to social media and/or our community photo album with short descriptions.
- Community Photo Album Creator – This volunteer would put together a community photo album, to be kept in the entry to the Dharma hall. Creativity is welcome around the creation of this project!
If you would like more information about the volunteer opportunities that are currently open, please complete this short questionnaire and Kirsten (our volunteer coordinator) will be in touch. You can also approach her or Avi (community coordinator) directly in person to get involved.
For Current Volunteers: Sign up for a Shift
If you have already spoken with Kirsten or Avi about volunteering and are ready to start your service, click below to see current service opportunities and pick up shifts!